In the UK, an electronic private prescription is a prescription which meets the General Prescription Requirements and must also contain an Advanced Electronic Signature. Clynxx is the UK’s official private advanced electronic prescription system.
According to the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, prescription copies sent by email, or copies of prescriptions that are found in a patient’s account do not meet this specification.
General Prescription Requirements
The following particulars are a requirement for a valid electronic private prescription in the UK.
- Advanced Electronic Signature (learn more about an advanced electronic signature here)
- Prescriber’s address
- The date it was signed
- Prescriber’s particulars showing the type of prescriber
- Patient’s name
- Patient’s address
- Age of patient (under 12s only)
The Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain defines a permissible ‘Advanced Electronic Signature’ for UK (England, Scotland and Wales) private prescriptions to possess the following characteristics:
- Unique to the signatory
- Capable of identifying the signatory
- Signatory maintains the sole control of the means by which it has been generated
FreeRx® prescriptions created by prescribers using Clynxx meet all these requirements. For further details about our advanced electronic private prescriptions, visit our dedicated page here
For a more detailed description on how the law defines ‘electronic prescriptions’ read the Regulation 219(5) Human Medicines Regulations 2012
How to start creating compliant UK electronic private prescriptions
The best way to create electronic private prescriptions in the UK is by using Clynxx.
You can begin writing electronic private prescriptions in minutes. These prescriptions can be sent directly to the patient via SMS and/or email instantly. Prescribers also have the option of sending prescriptions directly to a partner pharmacy.
These are the steps on how to start writing electronic private presciptions instantly
- Go to clynxx.uk/register to sign up using your GMC or GPhC registration number
- Auto verify your identity using a government issued ID such as a driver’s licence or passport
- Check your email for one time login credentials
- Access your Clynxx portal and create your clinic chamber
- Start prescribing straight away
This is the fastest and fully regulatory compliant method of creating electronic private prescriptions in the UK.
Tuck Muswizu MRPharmS, Founder of CLYNXX LTD.
Tuck is a pharmacist with the intent of understanding the cores of successful operation within the pharmaceutical industry. Providing maximum benefit to both the industry and the patient, globally. He is a member of The Royal Pharmaceutical Society. Tuck enjoys learning about technology, preventative medicine and reading about diverse subject matters.